Thursday, September 13, 2012

Quitting Sugar - Day 6

We are almost at the end of the first week and I am really happy we have got this far. When we had previously tried to cut down on sugar we only managed a few days before we were back to our old habits. This time it really does feel different. By taking the hard line and saying we won't eat any sugar there are no decisions to make when we are faced with sugary foods. I don't have to think about it I just know if there is sugar in it I don't eat it because it will make me sick.

I did have a brief moment when I felt really deprived. Not because I wanted sugar but because I was thinking about all the 'nice' foods I wouldn't get to eat again - chocolate, ice cream etc. I know it sounds really melodramatic now that I am writing it and I did snap myself out of it pretty quickly at the time.

I think that kind of thinking can be really dangerous. If I start thinking I am depriving myself then I will feel like I am missing out on something. If I think I am breaking an addiction and eating sugar will make me sick and fat then I am not depriving myself. It's just the way you look at it I suppose.

On another note, I gave away my tomato and BBQ sauces, maple syrup and sweet chili sauce. That was a big move I mentioned needed doing here. And I feel liberated now that I've done it. I need to check the Asian sauces I have in the fridge next.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations. Best advice, make your sugar free ice cream and make it chocolate flavoured with cocoa. After three months I seem to have lost my taste for chocolate. That in itself is a miracle :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'll be making my own ice cream. It's nice to know you've lost your taste for chocolate. I can't imagine that happening. It would be a miracle.

      Delete
  2. Lovely blog. Look forward to following your journey...make sure once you are no longer addicted to sugars to introduce sugars such as tropical fruits, freshly squeezed oj etc back into your diet, to avoid adrenal fatigue and other metabolic problems that come from ridding your body of all sugar (by triggering stress hormones). I wrote a post on it here....
    http://thelittlegnomeshome.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/why-i-didnt-quit-sugar.html

    (read the article I reference in my blog post)
    Natalie x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...