Friday, September 14, 2012

Quitting Sugar - Day 7

Our first week has come to a close and I am really proud of all of us. We made it through the first week and things have become a little easier. I think the desire for sugary foods is more psychological now rather than physical. Chocolate was the first thing I reached for when I was stressed or upset or tired or happy or .....

.... you get the picture right?

As I was saying, junk food (particularly chocolate) has been my emotional crutch for a long long time so it will take me a while to not want chocolate in emotional situations. I am working on using other coping mechanism such as getting out of the house or doing housework.

I have also pulled out some embroidery I started ages ago to help keep my hands busy at night. Instead of snacking on junk food in front of the TV after dinner I am keeping my hands busy by sewing. Also there is no way I would put chocolate anywhere near my embroidery. All that hard work!

I met up with a known saboteur today. You know the ones? When you are trying to lose weight or start an exercising routine or simply trying to eat more wholesome foods they tell you "You don't need to lose weight, you'd look too scrawny" or they pop in just when you are about to go on your walk with a massive cake even though they know you are trying to lose weight. You know, those ones.

I didn't mention we had stopped eating sugar because frankly they would not be interested. I was able to stay away from sugar and just had a coffee but it's harder with the kids. I did manage to minimise the damage though. I'd brought some snacks for the kids so they didn't 'need' cupcakes. So it was just their drinks that contained sugar.

I'd love your suggestions on how to deal with saboteurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...