Monday, September 17, 2012

Quitting Sugar - Day 8 & 9

Days 8 & 9 (otherwise known as the weekend).

I'm not going to post over the weekends. Purely because we spend a lot of time as a family on the weekend and I don't want to eat into that precious time. So here is a run down of the main sugar event during our second weekend sugar free.

I found a packet of M&Ms in the cupboard Saturday afternoon. I'd forgotten about them and they fell out when I pulled out another Tupperware container. I didn't throw them out but put them back in the cupboard and went about my afternoon.

I didn't feel any desire to eat them when I found them but as the afternoon wore on I began thinking about them more and more. It was like it was my little secret and I began obsessing about them. I felt like I was turning into a monster that needed to sniff out sugar to survive. They were in the cupboard taunting me.

After the kids went to bed we sat down on the lounge and this is usually the time we would indulge in sugar. I ended up blurting out my secret to Mr Berry almost as soon as we sat down. It was like I couldn't contain it any longer and had to unburden myself. As soon as I told him it was like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Mr Berry put them in the big bin outside (he was going to put them in the kitchen bin but I am sorry to say I felt I could have taken them out of there and eaten them anyway).

Once they were in the bin I forgot about them and no longer felt I needed sugar. I think it was the fact they were in the house and we were no longer eating sugar that made them so tempting. They were the forbidden fruit.

I think this just goes to show that whilst my cravings for sugar are diminishing, it will be a long time before I can have chocolate or confectionery in the house without wanting to eat it. I am definitely not ready to have my will power tested. (Actually, I have no will power at all. I think I've just proven that.)

But Sunday night came around and we are still sugar free and feeling great. Not only are we starting to feel less sluggish and tired but I think we both feel a real sense of achievement for continuing this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...